Dear Regional Federation Presidents,
I hope you are doing well and enjoyed the holidays!
I would like to share the following information with you and your members who practice Iaido.
At the November 2017 AUSKF Board of Directors (BOD) Meeting, the following two items were voted on.
(1) Procedures for Requesting Qualified Examiners for Iaido Shinsa (Promotional Examination) from AUSKF
Regional federations (RF) unable to set up a qualified promotional examination board (PEB) may request assistance from AUSKF (AUSKF Policy and Procedures, Appendix A, Section I, Article 4).
- Submit your email request via your RF president to the Iaido Committee Chairperson at least three months in advance of your scheduled shinsa
- Include the date, location, names of RF examiners and their current rank and promotion ranks being offered in your request
- After reviewing request, Iaido Committee Chairperson will forward request to AUSKF VP of Promotions for approval
Remember, RFs are limited to one request for AUSKF assistance per year. It is highly recommended RFs work with other nearby federations to set up a qualified a PEB.
(2) Shinsa for 5-Dan & Above in Iaido at the 2018 AUSKF Iaido Summer Camp
AUSKF Board voted at the November 2017 BOD Meeting to accept International Kendo Federation’s (FIK) recommendation to join Canadian Kendo Federation (CKF) in creating a North American Kodansha Iaido Shinsa.
The original recommendation was sent to AUSKF in 2016. Prior to 2018, FIK has been sending an official Iaido delegation to the USA to teach the seminar and sit on the shinsa board. CKF members wanting to be promoted to 5-dan and 6-dan attended the AUSKF Iaido Summer Camps. In 2017, FIK approved to only send one official delegation to the North America region starting in 2018. With Canada and USA possessing the majority of Iaido practitioners in North America , it was determine that FIK will send an official Iaido delegation to Canada in 2018 and to the USA in 2019 and 2020.
HOW IT EFFECTS AUSKF MEMBERS
- Shinsa at the 2018 AUSKF Iaido Summer Camp will only be provided for those testing up to 4-Dan
- AUSKF does not have enough examiners to offer a shinsa for 5-dan or above per AUSKF Policy & Procedures, Appendix A, Section III, Article 4
- The All Japan Kendo Federation (AJKF) Senseis attending the summer camp will not be sitting on the board because they have not been sent at official delegates by FIK
- Number effected by change (based on records available to me)
- Eight 5-dan qualify to test for 6-dan in 2018 (PNKF 3, MWKF 1, GNEUSKF 1, AEUSKF 2, SWKIF 1)
- Fifteen 4-dan qualify to test for 5-dan in 2018 (PNKF 2, MWKF 1, GNEUSKF 4, AEUSKF 5, EUSKF 1, NCKF 1, SCKF 1)
- Every third year, the Kodansha shinsa will be held in Canada
- AUSKF Iaido members challenging the Kodansha shinsa in Canada will not be charged the administration fee per examination application by AUSKF for the 2018 North American Iaido Shinsa
- CKF plans to hold the shinsa either in November or December 2018
- Details will be provided as soon as they are available
Please share this information with your Iaido members along with the camp information below. If there are any questions, please send me an email at email@example.com .
I look forward to seeing everyone at the 2018 AUSKF Iaido Summer Camp, Taikai, Shinsa and/or Jodo Workshop. We have great Iaido instructors from AJKF joining us – Mitani, Teruo Sensei (8-Dan Hanshi from Kochi Prefecture) and Hatakenaka, Atsumi Sensei (8-Dan Kyoshi from Tokyo Prefecture). Additional Information.
AUSKF Iaido Committee Chairperson